"Sing to the LORD, all the earth! Tell of His salvation from day to day. Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous works among all the peoples! For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised." ~1 Chronicles 16:23-25a~

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Growing Up

Growing Up

The sound of wind chimes blowing in a warm breeze
The smell of sweet crisp baking in the oven
The touch of smooth keys beneath my fingers
The sound of music drifting through the air
What do these recall to memory?

The feel of summer’s end drawing near
The sound of trees rustling in the yard
The taste of fresh sun ripened garden tomatoes
The feel of anticipation as school approaches
What do these recall to memory?

For me, they recall my childhood memories
For me, they recall the times of past
For me, they recall the days of innocence and bliss
For me, they recall my days of youth and play
And what reality does this bring me to?

It brings me to the fact that I’ve grown up
It reminds me that there’s no going back
It’s a sobering fact to realize you’re grown!
Oh how I wish I’d listened to my parents
And obeyed their words to not grow up!

But at least now I understand that I must trust the Lord
I understand that I must let Him guide my paths and ways
For He alone knows what’s best for me
And will ne’er hold His good from me
So now I rest in peace that His hand will hold me to the end.


Today, as my parents were packing and preparing our tent trailer to go camping, a flood of childhood memories came back to me. The afternoons these days have been feeling a lot like fall; there is the warm breeze we have in September and the evenings can be very cool. All of this reminds me of going back to school and of starting a brand new school year. I was also flooded with memories of our camping trip with our church; we have gone to this place since I was one and hardly missed any years until I started high school. (The last time I went was my junior year of high school.) Camp is filled with memories of family, friends, dirt, the lake, hiking, the gun range, riding bikes, the smell of outhouses by the end of the weekend (unfortunately), waking up early for hiking up Sentinal Peak, eating good food, being freezing at night some years and being fine at night other years, singing worship songs to the Lord, seeing thousands and thousands of stars, of getting baptized in the lake, playing with my brothers, etc. Almost 20 years of memories.

But along with all those memories came the reminder of getting older and realizing that life is not as easy now as when I was five. I am not saying that my life is hard now, by no means! But with age come experience and with experience, particularly in the believer’s life, comes the greater realization and revelation of sin and struggles. But, on the other hand, comes the greater reminder of God’s grace and love and mercy and salvation for He should be praised for! I am so thankful to the Lord for my family and my life; I cannot thank Him enough for His kindness and goodness to me. I thank Him for all the memories and look forward to the years ahead of His continued love and kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment