"Sing to the LORD, all the earth! Tell of His salvation from day to day. Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous works among all the peoples! For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised." ~1 Chronicles 16:23-25a~

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Summer Thoughts (Part 2) - May 22, 2010

Even though I read the book Passion and Purity last summer, I thought it appropriate to read it again. There are so many good truths in this book that can be applied to every day life. Here are some more of my favorite quotes as of what I have read today.

"Waiting on God requires the willingness to bear uncertainty, to carry within oneself the unanswered question, lifting the heart to God about it whenever it intrudes upon one's thoughts. It is easy to talk oneself into a decision that has no permanence--easier sometimes than to wait patiently."

Thoughts : I am reminded of Proverbs 3:5-6 here: "Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In ALL your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." Do I trust the Lord enough to be willing to live with an uncertain future? Am I willing and do I continually raise the "question marks" in life up to God? Do I trust God in ALL things and lay aside all worry and doubt? The honest answer: not all the time. But, praise God for His amazing and unending patience, goodness, and love that He lavishes upon me! I have come to appreciate His patience and mercy more and more as I continually learn these lessons.

"Waiting silently is the hardest thing of all. [...] The things that we feel most deeply we ought to learn to be silent about, at least until we have talked them over thoroughly with God." [emphasis added]

Thoughts : I am terrible at waiting, let alone waiting "silently." In Colossians 1:11 talks about "patience with joy." The beginning of verse 11 says "May you be strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might." If you leave out the phrase "according to His glorious might" you see the connection of "May you be strengthened with all power...for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to God the Father..." I think that is so cool that Paul prays specifically that the Colossians would be strengthened "for...patience with joy, giving thanks." Usually I do not associate patience with joy but it makes sense, but I know that I can find joy in waiting.
As a girl, I can attest to the fact that talking about something to somebody else is very easy to do. The 2nd part of the quote is a good reminder to me because I know that turning to God about my "problems" is not always the first place I go. But if we wait, and if we wait silently except for talking the matter over with God, imagine how many things would end more smoothly? Psalm 62:5 says, "For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is in Him." Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still, and know that I am God." I need to wait patiently and silently until the Lord sees fit to act and show His will to me.

Waiting means...
"'Steadfastness, that is holding on;
Patience, that is holding back;
Expectancy, that is holding the face up;
Obedience, that is holding one's self in readiness to go or do;
Listening, that is holding quiet and still so as to hear.'

How long, Lord, must I wait?
Never mind, child. Trust Me."

Thoughts : I really like line about listening...I know I do not take the time to sit and be quiet and still before the Lord so that I can hear Him; usually I just want answers at the exact moment I want them.

1 comment: