"Sing to the LORD, all the earth! Tell of His salvation from day to day. Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous works among all the peoples! For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised." ~1 Chronicles 16:23-25a~

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Growing Up

Growing older is an interesting thing. Although I know that being 20 years old is not old in the grand scheme of eternity, but sometimes I feel like it is pretty old. =P Sunday, as I sat and watched my brother and one of his best friends, I thought back to the days when I used to watch them play as boys at age 7 and up. (They are now almost 25.) I smiled to myself watching them still talk and laugh as they always have; not much has changed except they look more grown up and they have gotten bigger. My brother is now a teacher and his friend is just graduated from seminary. For me, watching their wives talk was not quite as weird seeing how I have not known them my entire life. However, watching and listening to two grown men talk about "the old days" or about how they are excited to see God use them in ministry, almost brought tears to my eyes. It is so neat and such a blessing to see how God has grown and matured these boys into men who are passionate about serving the Lord. Instead of being partners in crime and sticking kidney beans down their ears (yes, they really did that!), they are not talking about being partners in ministry for the sake of the Kingdom.

This afternoon I was reading my brother and his wife's blog of their trip to Togo, Africa. I got choked up when I read about how they are praying about going back to the country to stay, not because I am necessarily sad they are leaving, but because it is so awesome to see how the Lord is sending out His workers. Although I will miss my brothers and their wives when they go abroad, I can hardly wait to see how the Lord is going to use them for the sake of the Gospel.

Earlier this morning, I helped babysit for a preschool type class at my church. One of the families that was there we met when I was 8 years old. At that time, the parents were dating and in college at The Master's College. I have babysat for them and watched their 3 kids grow up since the youngest was born. It is really weird for me now because their oldest (who is 9) and I (who is 20 years old) are about the same age as her parents and I were when we first met some 12 years ago. It is just funny to see how things come full circle at some point. =]

Things like this often make me realize how quickly time goes by. It does not seem so very long ago that my parents dropped me off for WOW week in August '08 and yet in 3 months time from now I will be there to welcome incoming students for 2010. Time seems to literally fly. Things change so quickly and it is exciting to see where God will direct the futures of His children. I hope and pray that I would not squander the time given to me by God but that I would be faithful to use it to honor and glorify Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment