"Sing to the LORD, all the earth! Tell of His salvation from day to day. Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous works among all the peoples! For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised." ~1 Chronicles 16:23-25a~

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Unmet Expectations

Having expectations and hopes that are unmet by people can be disappointing and even devastating if one does not keep in mind the fallibility and fallen nature of mankind. I was reminded once again this week how my plans are not always the Lord’s plans and how I can easily set up personal expectations that are not met by those around me. Today in my reading I came across this quote:

When we cling to our expectations we are saying we know what should happen or what would be best in a given situation. This nasty “cling” is pride. Any time we believe we hold the keys to what would be best in any circumstance, we become a god.

I find myself wholeheartedly agreeing with this statement as something I tend to do. The situation that presented itself last week was no different. I had certain expectations that the situation would carry on in a certain way and it did not. I left disappointed and disheartened for I had thought I had been following the Lord through it all. In frustration with the experience and with myself, I was left confused. I realized, however, that although I might have thought I was honoring the Lord totally, there is always room for growth and the Lord will never fail to do what He sees will best sanctify His beloved child. While this can for sure be frustrating, I know that it the way that the Lord is choosing and see best to mold me into the image of His Son. I had an expectation of how I thought the previously mentioned situation should end but the Lord had a different opinion and plan. He sees it best for me to trust Him in the mean time and wait on Him and His timing.

Along this same line of thought, people are a major component of “failed expectations.” It is funny to me how as humans we are so concerned with being on the receiving end of grace and yet we so easily forget to or refuse to be on the giving end of grace. People will always disappoint at some point and they will always fail to meet another person’s expectations. It is bound to happen for one of two reasons: 1) humans are fallen and so fail and are sinful and, therefore, disappoint or 2) humans are fallen and have flawed expectations and, therefore, are disappointed. I was reminded this morning that I cannot and must not put hope in people because they will fail. (I also have to remember that I cannot put in a guy/boyfriend/husband because he will not be perfect…but that’s another topic of discussion for another day.) Christ alone in the only person I can place my hope in; He is the only person who will never fail me. Yes, there may be times when I might think He failed me, but it is at this point that I need to check my expectations against what is biblical; it is then that I need to question whether or not I am truly trusting the Lord because He has promised to always be faithful. (Deut. 31:6, Ps. 94:14)

To combat wishful thinking of people never failing me, I must remember verses like Philippians 4:8 and Colossians 3:1-2. I must “take captive every thought to the obedience of Christ.” I must instead look to Christ and find my satisfaction and comfort in Him. He is the only person who will never leave me; the only person who will never fail me; the only person who will love me perfectly; the only person who will be able to comfort me in my darkest moments. I cannot and should not look to other people for this ultimate comfort; Christ and Christ alone is my only Savior. He alone is my hope. No guy, no girl, no parent, no sibling, no child, no husband can ever come close to fulfilling that position. I pray I would remember that always and seek to know my Lord and Savior more.

No comments:

Post a Comment