At the beginning of Chapter One, Piper tells a story of remembering a man come to Christ in his later years of life. As the man prayed with Piper’s father, the old man wept, “I’ve wasted it! I’ve wasted it!” Will I too come to the end of my life and cry those same words? Or am I confident that how I am living my life now is such that Christ is being honored and glorified?
Piper includes a little poem that was on a plaque in his kitchen growing up. It said:
“Only one life,
‘Twill soon be past;
Only what’s done
for Christ will last.” (pg. 12)
Christ will be the one at the end of our lives who will measure the worth of what we have done. Are we living in such a way that is furthering the kingdom of God?
I am reminded of a lesson taught to me in my Principles of Family Finance class last Fall at Master’s. One of the first lectures we had regarding finances included discussing biblical principles of stewardship, giving, etc. We went through the passage in Matthew 6 that talks about laying up for ourselves treasures in Heaven. It was brought to our attention that the only things that we can take to Heaven with us are people. For some reason—probably my thick-headedness—I had never really thought about this before but it is so true! People are the only things that will be in Heaven with us that will be impacted by how we live here on earth. While staying fit, reading books, playing video games are not sinful in and of themselves, are they benefiting the furtherance of the kingdom of God? Are they being done in such a way so as to minister to other people and share the Gospel with them? Or are we doing them solely for our own pleasure?
May all that we do be for the glory and honor of God!
No comments:
Post a Comment