"Sing to the LORD, all the earth! Tell of His salvation from day to day. Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous works among all the peoples! For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised." ~1 Chronicles 16:23-25a~

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What Am I Thinking About?

Lately I have been convicted with how I use my free time in regards to my thoughts. This sort of time would include when I am getting ready in the morning, when I am driving, when I am falling asleep, etc. How am I using that time and how am I using my thoughts to honor God and bring ultimate glory to Him?

It is so easy to day dream in those instances and think about how things could be or how I would like things to be in my life. There are many times when I think, “Yes, I know what I am thinking is not reality but it is more fun and more pleasant than thinking about the things that really are and about how life really is.”

There is one particular set of verses that has been really convicting to me and has reminded me that this sort of day dreaming is sinful.

Philippians 4:8, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Every time I am day dreaming about all the “what if’s,” “could be’s,” and “maybe’s” and I think about the first part of this verse I know that I need to stop my thoughts because they are not “whatever is true.” I have to stop myself and ask, “Is what I am thinking about true?” And when I answer “no,” I have to put on right thinking and think about what is true in my life at that time. I have to think, “It is “true” that God has me in this situation right now, it is “true” that I am not doing that this summer, etc.”

The other day I had the thought, “If I were to die right now and go to Heaven and the Lord was to ask me, ‘Katherine, how did you honor, serve, and glorify Me in your thoughts? Did you serve me to your fullest capability in your life even down to the seemingly smallest things such as what you thought about during the day? How did you use the ‘free’ time I gave you in your thoughts in a glorifying and honoring manner? Did you serve Me in your thoughts or did you waste that time?’ What would I answer Him?” I realized that there are definitely many times when I waste time thinking about myself or waste time thinking about how my life could be.

I am really hoping and praying that instead of wasting this precious time that I would used it to “set [my] mind on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.” (Colossians 3:2) I want to use this time to pray for people, to pray for my own sanctification, and to contemplate the attributes of God, who He is, and what He has done for me. I am also challenging myself to be more thankful and try to actively think of things throughout my day that I am thankful for and actually write them down.

(Side story: I was challenged with this idea of writing down things I was thankful for at our women’s Bible study last night and I was really excited about doing it. And then at work this morning my boss told us about this great idea she had driving to work this morning and it was to start a list of things we are thankful for throughout our day in the office and to make a collaborative list as an office staff. I know that the Lord was and is working there because those two things corresponded so perfectly. =D Yeah!!! I LOVE when He does that!!!)

Anyways, I pray that my entire life would be honoring to the Lord down to my every thought!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment